Librarian 2 (Head of Cataloging) -- Southern Methodist University -- Dallas, TX
The Head of Cataloging in the Southern Methodist University Libraries leads a unit responsible for cataloging and authority control for library resources in all languages and formats for the general and selected special collections of the SMU Libraries system. The Head of Cataloging works collaboratively with librarians in the Collections and Technical Services department and other library units to facilitate information retrieval through timely and accurate cataloging and authority control. The focus of this position is on providing leadership in cataloging and authority control and on providing training for cataloging staff as the work of technical services changes.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Supervise catalogers (7) who work with special formats, including music, media, rare books and serials, and electronic resources.
- Supervise staff responsible for physical processing of items for the general collection, including binding, periodicals check-in, and end processing. Manage shelf-ready processing and OCLC WorldCat Cataloging Partners integration.
- Perform original cataloging for unique materials in all formats, and perform authority control.
- Resolve cataloging and classification problems by consulting local procedures and best practices in the field, and document decisions.
- Compile statistics, analyze data, and prepare reports to inform decision making and support institutional reporting.
Education and Experience:
- Masters in Library Science or equivalent degree from an American Library Association-accredited institution is required.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in original cataloging and/or metadata creation is required.
- A minimum of two years of supervisory duties in an academic library or similar setting is required.
- Expertise and interest in motivating and fostering the professional development of professional and paraprofessional staff is preferred.
- Knowledge of cataloging in one or more modern languages is preferred.
- Experience with Library Services Platforms (e.g. Ex Libris’ Alma) or Integrated Library Systems, such as Ex Libris’ Voyager, is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Candidate must demonstrate proficiency with cataloging standards such as RDA, LCSH, LCC, and MARC21 coding.
- Candidate must demonstrate strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills to effectively work with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Candidate must be very detail-oriented and possess strong time management and organizational skills.
- Candidate must demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to identify, analyze, and evaluate problems, and devise solutions.
- Candidate must also possess the ability to work collaboratively and independently in a team environment.
- Candidate must have computer and related library technology skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Working knowledge of Ex Libris’ Alma; Experience using MarcEdit or Macro Express; and, Experience with an Electronic Resources Management system or similar software is preferred.
For full consideration a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and contact information for three current professional references is required.
- Handle objects (dexterity)
- Carry/lift 25-50 lbs.
- Sit for long periods of time
Position is open until filled. Priority consideration may be given to submissions received June 6. 2018.
Please click here (URL: https://smu.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=CEN00000013&tz=...).
Requisition ID: CEN00000013
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, firstname.lastname@example.org.