Electronic Resources Librarian/Assistant Department Head of Technical Services -- Texas Christian University -- Ft. Worth, TX
The Mary Couts Burnett Library at Texas Christian University seeks an experienced Electronic Resources Librarian/Assistant Department Head of Technical Services to oversee all aspects of electronic and subscription resources, including acquisitions, licensing, data collection and providing access to the TCU community. Reporting to the Head of Technical Services, this position will be a part of the overall Technical Services functions, but will focus on Electronic Resources. The position is responsible for managing a team of three staff members.
Duties and Essential Job Functions:
- Supervises and manages staff by implementing mechanisms for improvement, evaluating performance, measuring progress and maintaining quality customer service.
- Works collaboratively with librarians, staff and faculty in other library departments in the identification and evaluation of electronic resources to support teaching and research at TCU.
- Builds and maintains strong professional relationships and communications with vendors to obtain product information, preliminary pricing information, and preliminary license information. Negotiates with vendors to obtain favorable pricing, terms, and conditions.
- Coordinates purchasing and invoicing operations; set up and implementation of thousands of electronic resources; communicates with staff to ensure appropriate implementation and discovery of electronic resources.
- Creates and maintains detailed, accurate, and relevant documentation and records for electronic resources evaluations and acquisitions and maintains, updates, and assesses workflows for electronic resources-related tasks. Manages collection of usage statistics.
- Participates in budgetary oversight by advising on fund allocation; monitoring budgetary encumbrances and expenditures for the subject area budgets.
- Liaises with the University Financial Services Office by reviewing invoices processed in both the library and university financial systems; checking invoices for accuracy; monitoring vendor statements; running reports, reconciling budgets between the university and library systems and resolving any discrepancies.
- Contributes to the overall operation of the library by serving on committees and task forces as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of academic library electronic and print resources.
- Knowledge of academic library practices.
- Ability to organize and execute efficient workflow.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff, vendors and the University community.
- Knowledge of integrated library systems as they relate to acquisitions, cataloging and serials management.
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office to include Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to plan and implement departmental and interdepartmental projects.
- Ability to build and lead team efforts.
- Masters' of Library Science (ALA accredited)
- 5 years professional library experience including
- 2 years in a supervisory capacity; background in electronic resource acquisition and licensing
Desired skills, knowledge and experience:
- Second graduate degree
- Second language skills
- Collection Development experience
- Experience with Open Access resources and familiarity with OA issues
- Experience and knowledge with Intellectual property and copyright
- Familiarity with metadata and knowledge base management tools such as Serials Solutions
Texas Christian University is a private, doctoral granting university with an enrollment around 10,000 students. The Mary Couts Burnett Library has a staff of 60, and a collection that includes over 2 million books and audio-visual materials. Located 45 miles west of Dallas, the Fort Worth metro area has a population nearing a million people and is home to internationally recognized museums, numerous performing arts organizations, a vibrant downtown with an active night life, and two national historic districts. Information about benefits and applications is available on the TCU Human Resources web site at: http://www.hr.tcu.edu/ Applications received by May 31, 2018 will be given first consideration.
To apply, please visit: https://tcu.iGreentree.com/CSS_External/CSSPage_Referred.ASP?Req=2018-126
TCU is an AA/EEO employer.
Posted May 2018